Our Church was organized in 1802 by its first pastor, Abel Olive, as the Christian Church at Pleasant Springs. From its organization until 1847, the membership never numbered more than fifty. In August of 1847, during an old time revival, twenty-six joyfully accepted Christ as Savior. The church grew as the Lord answered prayers, and many of the returned husbands and sons from the Civil War were saved in another great revival in 1866.
The fellowship decided to move about two miles west to a more central location for the members. Dr. Allen Adams gave a plot of land, and a small house was built on the present site in 1871. Pleasant Springs then became known as Catawba Springs. The house remained until about the close of the 19th century, when it was sold to the county for use as a schoolhouse and moved. A new white clapboard siding church was built and used for several years. It was later enlarged by adding on the left and right wings.
J. Lee Johnson served as pastor from 1911-1949. It was under his leadership that Catawba Springs voted on May 1, 1937 to withdraw membership from the Congregational Christian Conference of North Carolina, due to the growing apostasy of the newly merged denomination.
In January of 1946, the wooden building burned. Services were held at Fairview Community Clubhouse until January of 1948, when the current brick building was completed. It was during this time that Franklin Pierce began his 31 year ministry as pastor of Catawba Springs. The present building was remodeled and the west wing added in 1979.
Catawba Springs is actively involved in various soul-winning and discipleship ministries locally, nationally, and internationally (Acts 1:8). Our church is accurately described as an independent, fundamental, baptistic, and missions-minded ministry that is “...striving together for the faith of the gospel” (Philippians 1:27). Chuck Woodruff is the current Senior Pastor of Catawba Springs, who began his ministry in August of 1997.
To read more about our church's rich history, click here.